“The moment you become aware of the ego in you, it is strictly speaking no longer the ego, but just an old, conditioned mind-pattern. Ego implies unawareness. Awareness and ego cannot coexist.”
Why would the artist formally known as Brandon Pitts change his name to Simon Occulis?
1) When said fast, it sounds like an eye disease.
2) The enemy of Occulis is search engines and social media. Make your enemies your friends. Brandon Pitts the actor, or Brandon Pitts the doctor who self publishes on amazon, or the athlete Brandon Pitts, all compete for your attention with Brandon Pitts, the poet:
There is only one Occulis!
3) Occulis has no limits. Self identification is the enemy of creativity and endeavors of excellence. The best art is a gift, and the artist the vessel. Brandon Pitts is an ego with a past, a mother, a father.
Occulis, the non-entity, is a more perfect vessel.
4) David Jones was a failed musician; Bowie had no limits, Ziggy Stardust went to Mars.
Robert Zimmerman was a shitty artist; Bob Dylan took the Nobel Prize. They became more perfect vessels by assuming non-entity personas.
Brandon Pitts is left handed. Occulis is ambidextrous.
5) Brandon Pitts composed In the Company of Crows, Pressure to Sing, and Tender in the Age of Fury. Occulis has just released, the Gospel of Now.